Backend Engineer, Managed Datastores
At Render we are building a powerful, easy-to-use cloud platform to host anything online: from simple static sites to complex applications with dozens of microservices. Render offers the flexibility of traditional cloud providers without their complexity and maintenance headaches so developers and businesses can focus on building products instead of managing servers.
We're a talented and diverse group solving a problem faced by every development team. We iterate quickly while placing the utmost importance on user experience, quality, and reliability. We push ourselves to do better every day. With tens of thousands of customers and rapidly increasing revenue, we're on to something big.
Applying to Render:
We're looking for candidates with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn. We use reasoned discussion and constant feedback to improve as individuals and as a company. We cultivate mutual trust and respect, empowering us to debate ideas effectively and create the best outcomes for our customers and our team.
We especially encourage members of underrepresented groups in the tech community to apply and understand that not all successful candidates will meet each requirement listed.
Our interview process is unique to each role, and we value the candidate experience just as much as our customer experience. We hope your conversations with us reflect a thoughtful process that is illuminative, enjoyable, and respectful of your time.
About the role:
Render is scaling rapidly. Our customers have created hundreds of thousands of services on our platform, and the numbers continue to accelerate. Our customers trust us to deliver a secure, reliable and performant cloud — this is our top priority as a company.
By joining us at an early stage, you will design and build the cloud infrastructure databases you've always wanted for yourself, and make decisions that will shape our product and company, directly impacting developers around the globe.
Our Datastores team owns our managed PostgreSQL and Redis products. Our goal is to tightly integrate data products onto the Render platform and strike the balance between usability and customizability. Customers should be able to get started quickly with a default setup that delights them. They should be able to adapt and customize their database as they grow and have more specific use cases.
We are looking for engineers with deep specialization in databases, specifically building solutions that use open source databases to store and retrieve data. We are particularly interested in experience with running distributed systems on Kubernetes and supporting many different types of databases - anything our customers can imagine!
- Add to the features of our managed database offerings (currently, we offer PostgreSQL and Redis).
- Collaborate with other engineers on high-impact projects like high availability failover, point in time recovery, zero downtime upgrades, and automated performance tuning.
- Improve the metrics and insights available to our users so they understand their performance, optimize their usage, and control when we run maintenance on their database.
- Develop Kubernetes operators that automate databases on our platform.
- Improve the performance and reliability of our managed database offerings.
- Debug issues at all levels in our infrastructure stack.
- Improve the performance and reliability of databases through increased observability, load testing, and chaos engineering.
- Participate in our on-call rotation, with the rest of the engineering team.
We’re looking for:
- Deep experience in databases, including but not limited to PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, MongoDB, or CockroachDB.
- Experience deploying, operating, and managing production-level PostgreSQL or other database systems at scale (e.g., in "as-a-service" environment)
- Experience building, operating and scaling workloads on Kubernetes clusters.
- Experience developing, maintaining, and debugging production systems at scale.
- Experience building and scaling cloud infrastructure.
- Familiarity with observability tools like Datadog, Grafana, and SignalFx.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform, Pulumi, and Ansible.
- Security hardening skills, especially in the context of untrusted workloads.
Benefits we offer:
- Our openings span more than one career level. The starting salary for this role is between $150,000 and $220,000 USD. The provided salary depends on many factors, such as work experience and transferable skills, business needs and impact, and market demands.
- The opportunity is also eligible for equity with early exercise options and extended exercise windows.
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all parents to bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child. We will also work with you to create a supportive plan of return.
- Long-term disability, life insurance, and 401K plans.
- 100% employer-paid medical coverage and 99% employer-paid dental and vision coverage for you and a dependent. FSAs available too.
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Monthly mental health stipend
- Monthly commuter stipend for Bay Area employees and a home office stipend for remote employees
- Continuous learning benefits & related support.
Render is an equal-opportunity employer. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product, and our community to flourish. We make all employment decisions, including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional, and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We encourage all who are interested to apply. We can't wait to hear from you!