Engineering Manager, Product Experience
At Render we are building a powerful, easy-to-use cloud platform to host anything online: from simple static sites to complex applications with dozens of microservices. Render offers the flexibility of traditional cloud providers without their complexity and maintenance headaches so developers and businesses can focus on building products instead of managing servers.
We're a talented and diverse group solving a problem faced by every development team. We iterate quickly while placing the utmost importance on user experience, quality, and reliability. We push ourselves to do better every day. With tens of thousands of customers and rapidly increasing revenue, we're on to something big.
Applying to Render:
We're looking for candidates with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn. We use reasoned discussion and constant feedback to improve as individuals and as a company. We cultivate mutual trust and respect, empowering us to debate ideas effectively and create the best outcomes for our customers and our team.
We especially encourage members of underrepresented groups in the tech community to apply and understand that not all successful candidates will meet each requirement listed.
Our interview process is unique to each role, and we value the candidate experience just as much as our customer experience. We hope your conversations with us reflect a thoughtful process that is illuminative, enjoyable, and respectful of your time.
About the role:
Your mission is to build out Render's Services team as part of our rapidly growing engineering organization. Our Services team owns the core of setting up and running user Services on Render. They are responsible for the signup/in, first run experience, billing, and much of the Dashboard. This role will report directly to the Vice President of Engineering, Uma Chingunde. By joining as one of the earliest engineering leaders, you will play a foundational role in Render's growth.
Render is scaling rapidly. Our customers have created hundreds of thousands of services on our platform, and the numbers continue to accelerate. Our customers trust us to deliver a cloud with the best developer experience, and your team will help us achieve this.
You will make decisions that will shape our product and company, directly impacting developers around the globe. Currently, our teams are focused on visual grouping, deploy hooks, and redesigning our dashboard.
We are considering candidates to work out of our San Francisco HQ.
- Support a distributed team of software engineers focused on the product experience, including features, APIs, and UIs.
- Work closely with Design and Infrastructure teams to set direction and lead them to execute on an ambitious set of projects. You can see a snapshot of our roadmap and changelog here.
- Set clear goals and directions, and provide regular feedback on your team's performance.
- Foster a collaborative and healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging.
- Hire, develop, and retain extraordinary engineering talent.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is low ego and has a high degree of empathy.
- Is deeply technical, but prefers to lean on their leadership skills to support the team’s personal development, and guide them in making architectural trade-offs, reviewing designs, and facilitating technical decisions.
- Holds significant experience working on building out features for customers. Has led or managed product-focused (or adjacent) engineering teams for a minimum of 2 years and professional experience of at least 5 years.
- Values diversity, equity, and inclusion and is committed to building healthy teams with these in mind.
- Has an ability to attract, develop and grow talented engineers.
- Is comfortable with the trade-offs and ambiguity inherent in early-stage startups. Skilled at driving decisions and uniting stakeholders when disagreements or conflicting constraints occur.
- Experience building teams at fast-growing startups, particularly ones in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience with developer products as an engineer or manager.
- Our openings span more than one career level. The starting salary for this role is between $170,000 and $220,000 USD. The provided salary depends on many factors, such as work experience and transferable skills, business needs and impact, and market demands.
- The opportunity is also eligible for equity with early exercise options and extended exercise windows.
- 4 weeks of paid vacation, available from day one.
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all parents to bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child. We will also work with you to create a supportive plan of return.
- Long-term disability, life insurance, and 401K plans.
- 100% employer-paid medical coverage and 99% employer-paid dental and vision coverage for you and a dependent. FSAs available too.
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Monthly mental health stipend
- Monthly commuter stipend for Bay Area employees, and a home office stipend for remote employees
- Continuous learning benefits & related support.
Render is an equal opportunity employer. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product, and our community to flourish. We make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional, and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We encourage all who are interested to apply. We can't wait to hear from you!
Something looks off?