Backend Engineer, Infrastructure
At Render we are building a powerful, easy-to-use cloud platform to host anything online: from simple static sites to complex applications with dozens of microservices. Render offers the flexibility of traditional cloud providers without their complexity and maintenance headaches so developers and businesses can focus on building products instead of managing servers.
We're a talented and diverse group solving a problem faced by every development team. We iterate quickly while placing the utmost importance on user experience, quality, and reliability. We push ourselves to do better every day. With tens of thousands of customers and rapidly increasing revenue, we're on to something big.
Applying to Render:
We're looking for candidates with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn. We use reasoned discussion and constant feedback to improve as individuals and as a company. We cultivate mutual trust and respect, empowering us to debate ideas effectively and create the best outcomes for our customers and our team.
We especially encourage members of underrepresented groups in the tech community to apply and understand that not all successful candidates will meet each requirement listed.
Our interview process is unique to each role, and we value the candidate experience just as much as our customer experience. We hope your conversations with us reflect a thoughtful process that is illuminative, enjoyable, and respectful of your time.
- Own Render's core infrastructure across multiple data centers and regions.
- Help offer unique capabilities to Render customers through infrastructure innovation.
- Plan and architect for rapidly increasing scale.
- Debug issues at all levels in our infrastructure stack.
- Improve the performance and reliability of our infrastructure through increased observability, load testing, and chaos engineering.
- Collaborate with other engineers to help keep our platform stable, predictable, and secure.
- Participate in our on-call rotation, with the rest of the engineering team.
We’re looking for:
- Experience building and scaling cloud infrastructure.
- Experience developing, maintaining, and debugging production systems at scale.
- Experience building, operating and scaling Kubernetes clusters.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform, Pulumi, and Ansible.
- Familiarity with observability tools like Datadog and SignalFx.
- Experience hosting PostgreSQL (or similar data stores) at scale.
- Security hardening skills, especially in the context of untrusted workloads.
- Our openings span more than one career level. The starting salary for this role is between $150,000 and $220,000 USD. The provided salary depends on many factors, such as work experience and transferable skills, business needs and impact, and market demands.
- The opportunity is also eligible for equity with early exercise options and extended exercise windows.
- 4 weeks of paid vacation, available from day one.
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all parents to bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child. We will also work with you to create a supportive plan of return.
- Long-term disability, life insurance, and 401K plans.
- 100% employer-paid medical coverage and 99% employer-paid dental and vision coverage for you and a dependent. FSAs available too.
- Monthly wellness stipend.
- Monthly mental health stipend.
- Commuter benefits for Renders in the Bay Area, and home office stipends for remote Renders.
- Continuous learning benefits & related support.