Account Executive, Enterprise
PlanetScale is the modern MySQL platform. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, creators, and enterprise buyers alike.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at YouTube, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading investors such as a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins. We are just getting started!
The team and the role
This is a unique opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the Sales team for a thriving product. You will be responsible to engage, nurture and close customers to achieve your revenue goal. As an early member of our sales organization, you will play a key role in laying the foundations for our future success. We are looking for high caliber sales people who thrive when goals are given to them along with the freedom to achieve them.
What's the job to be done?
- You will focus on selling through different channels that will generate, engage, and close leads.
- You will identify and prioritize key partnerships to sell with and sell through.
- You will be responsible for building a business case and engaging our product engineering team to evaluate the feasibility/timing of each strategic partnership.
- You will run the full sales cycle, end to end, by working directly with decision makers in the software development and security space.
- You will work closely with Sales leadership and align with our marketing and product teams to influence our sales process, tone and approach.
These attributes best describe you...
- You thrive in a collaborative, team environment
- You are willing to jump into a rapidly scaling startup environment and build new teams, process and functions within the org
- You are a creative problem solver that identifies new and innovative ways to drive growth
- You are highly organized and able to operate in ambiguous or changing situations
- You thrive in an environment of cross-department collaboration.
- You exhibit an ambitious approach, and start-up/dive-right-in mentality.
- You want to work in a fast-moving rocketship, own and design programs, and make a significant impact on the success of the business.
- You demonstrate a positive, go-getter attitude.
- You are a self-starting, enthusiastic individual who is willing to take innovative approaches and responsibility for outcomes.
What you will need
- 8 years of relevant work experience
- 5-8 years of sales experience in a closing role
- Selling cloud databases or complex infrastructure solutions a must
- Proven ability to sell technical products to senior decision makers
- Prior experience selling to teams of developers and comfortable with bottom up and top down selling motions
- Prior experience selling to engineering and infrastructure teams
- Proven track record of hitting and exceeding your quota
- Ability to effectively navigate accounts and map to decision makers
- Ability to effectively position value in sales conversations
- Consistently follows sales processes including discovery, opportunity management, forecasting
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral
- Excellent presentation skills
- Proven product knowledge from previous roles
- Experience in a Sales organization being built from the ground up
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you need any accommodations, please inform our Talent Acquisition team upon initial contact. We are happy to accommodate you!
Total Compensation and Pay Transparency
An employee’s total compensation consists of base salary + variable comp where appropriate + benefits + equity. A member of our Talent Acquisition team will be happy to answer any further questions when we engage with you to begin the interview process.
Salary Range: $100,000 - $174,000