Developer Community Manager
PlanetScale is the modern MySQL platform. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, creators, and enterprise buyers alike.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at YouTube, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading investors such as a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins. We are just getting started!
Why PlanetScale Marketing?
The Marketing team at PlanetScale drives awareness and adoption of our database platform through storytelling, brand activations, demand generation, community building, and education. We are responsible for transforming how the industry thinks about using and developing alongside databases. We are changing the game, and that’s no easy feat.
We are hiring a Developer Community Manager who will be responsible for managing our social channels, creating social content, nurturing and growing our developer community, and engaging with developers throughout various external channels. Our brand is highly technical, educational, credible, and accessible. You should feel comfortable taking existing technical content and repurposing it into easy-to-digest standalone social media posts.
What’s the job to be done?
- Manage our organic social media channels by creating/maintaining a content calendar, repurposing existing content (blogs, videos, webinars, podcasts, etc), writing copy, and scheduling. You will be in charge of all content that goes out on our Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Monitor our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram), the PlanetScale Discord, and other channels like community Slack groups, LinkedIn groups, subreddits, etc., to build a community of followers, route support questions, and increase reach.
- Repurpose existing content to create engaging and educational material fit for each outlet
- Build and maintain intelligence reports on the competitive landscape
- Engage with the community to identify and build relationships with strong community members/leaders
- Ensure that social content meets brand guidelines, overall communication style, and company vision
- Develop strategies to grow the company’s community/customer base
- Work in conjunction with our Paid media team, Developer Education team, and Campaigns team to increase our campaign exposure and visibility in the market
- Monitor website traffic and customer engagement through metrics and be able to interpret those metrics
These attributes best describe you:
- You are involved in and love interacting with technical communities
- You’re a life-long learner with an interest in technical topics
- You are data-driven and use analytics to prioritize your efforts and develop strategy
What you will need:
- 2+ years of managing communities and social channels for a developer audience
- Strong technical knowledge, with a background in engineering or prior experience as a developer advocate preferred
- Knowledge of online channels for developer marketing and marketing best practices for each
- Exemplary communication skills without a fear of over communication. This role will require effective collaboration and coordination across internal and external stakeholders
- Proven experience carrying out marketing efforts, including planning, prioritizing, and implementing strategy
- Highly organized and proficient at managing multiple projects at the same time
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
What else will help you be successful:
- Experience working in a remote organization
- Previous experience at a database or SaaS company
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you need any accommodations, please inform our Talent Acquisition team upon initial contact. We are happy to accommodate!
Total Compensation and Pay Transparency
An employee’s total compensation consists of base salary + variable comp where appropriate + benefits + equity. A member of our Talent Acquisition team will be happy to answer any further questions when we engage with you to begin the interview process.
Salary Range: $110,000 - $140,000