Enterprise Product Manager
PlanetScale is the modern MySQL platform. Our products are loved by developers, builders, scalers, creators, and enterprise buyers alike.
Created by the people who built the infrastructure at YouTube, Instagram, GitHub, and Slack. PlanetScale is a series C start-up with over $100 million in funding raised; and backed by leading investors such as a16z, SignalFire, Insight Partners, and Kleiner Perkins. We are just getting started!
The team and the role
The team at PlanetScale believes that building a product developers love doesn’t just mean stacking up as many features as we can, but putting in the work to craft beautiful, functional, and powerful tools that people want to use and that enterprises can trust.
We are looking for an Enterprise Product Manager who is excited about collaborating on the core PlanetScale customer experience. You will help define the strategy and roadmap for PlanetScale’s Hosted and Managed offerings and partner closely with the Engineering teams based on those definitions.
Core responsibilities for this role include ensuring the onboarding, provisioning, and managing databases meet the requirements of small, medium and the largest enterprises with an incredible developer experience to boot.
You will execute a product strategy and work directly with customers and internal stakeholders including Engineering, Customer Engineering and Sales Engineering to understand and address their primary pain points, all the while collecting product requirements and documenting customer needs in detail, and with the Security, Legal and, Revenue teams to capture those teams’ requirements perfectly as part of the product roadmap and design.
These attributes describe you...
- You have a drive for getting the best out of people by creating collaborative, creative, and high performing teams that are empowered to ship software.
- You have an understanding of how to navigate inside a fast paced environment - we are a growing company, and you feel comfortable decreasing ambiguity and creating alignment.
- You have a focus on creating products that people want to use and that enterprises can trust.
- You create a high productivity, high autonomy environment that rewards excellent work and provides the tools and support to back it up. We don’t leave our teammates to fend for themselves, or send them on aimless expeditions.
- You and your colleagues are committed to helping you achieve your potential, holding you accountable, and making sure that you always know where you stand.
- You value the growth and opportunity that comes with working at an early-stage, fast-paced startup. This doesn’t mean stress and overwork, but the opportunity to work in and around every function of the business, and learn from some of the best.
What you will need
- 7+ years of experience in Engineering and Product roles, including experience working with engineering to prototype and iterate on features to improve an end-to-end user journey or workflow in the context of a product strategy.
- Experience building infrastructure products. Our product powers mission critical workloads that impact hundreds of millions of users.
- Experience building features in public clouds (AWS, GCP or Azure) in the enterprise technology space.
- An ability to grasp complex technical concepts and tie the impact of technical trade-offs to user experience trade-offs.
- Experience working with medium-sized to large enterprises to understand and address problems and set proper timelines and expectations around feature delivery.
- Excellent writing skills. We rely on documents to align plans and requirements across teams.
- A collaborative approach and an eagerness to partner with every function in the company in order to excel in your role
Additional skills that will help you be successful:
- Experience with an all-remote team
- Exposure to relational databases and the database space in general
- Experience building organizations from the ground up
- Experience shaping and leading design strategy.
- Product design, iconography, and illustration experience
- Experience communicating concepts
- Experience receiving and incorporating design feedback
- Experience coordinating, directing, and guiding the work of other designers
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you need any accommodations, please inform our Talent Acquisition team upon initial contact. We are happy to accommodate you!
Total Compensation and Pay Transparency
An employee’s total compensation consists of base salary + variable comp where appropriate + benefits + equity. A member of our Talent Acquisition team will be happy to answer any further questions when we engage with you to begin the interview process.
Salary Ranges: $170,000 - $200,000