Senior Software Engineer (Embedded)
About the role
Muon seeks a Sr. Software Engineer to join our satellite flight software team. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated versatile software developer with significant previous experience developing robust bare-metal / RTOS embedded devices or appliances. In this role, you will design, develop, integrate, and test the software and firmware that runs on our orbiting satellites.
- Integral member of the team defining and building Muon’s satellite bus platform
- Translate concepts and requirements into design and working implementations, supporting through to on-orbit operations
- Design, bring up, and support the embedded software environment that runs in our satellite flight systems and peripherals using ARM Cortex-M CPUs.
- Participate in evaluating and selecting technologies for our software foundation
- Write application, platform, and driver functionality in our flight software environment and teach others how to use it
- Integrate compute and peripheral subsystems in both software and hardware
- Collaborate with hardware team members on the design and bring up of Muon hardware
- Collaborate with software team members to set flight software architecture, select infrastructure and tools, and communicate with cloud backends.
- Participate in developing software and hardware-in-the-loop test strategies
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in computer science, electrical engineering, or related field
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer in a team environment
- Strong C/C++ programming, with some practical familiarity of other languages
- Great embedded systems fundamentals: resource-efficient design, low-level drivers, bit manipulation, responsive software and IRQ handling, RTOS frameworks, I/O and communication buses.
- Integration and control of external hardware devicesRead and understand hardware datasheets
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of industry-standard data formats and schemas (ProtoBuf, YAML, JSON, etc)
- Familiarity with a Linux-based development environment
- Experience with one or more of: embedded linux, FPGA, HW design, RF communication systems, cloud/server infrastructure, network architecture.
- End-to-end development from product concept to delivery to customer/market.
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
We are a geographically diverse company with teams in the San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, Boulder, and Seattle. We seek great talent wherever it may be.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We value diversity in the workplace, and that starts with our applicants. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't check all the boxes, and we look forward to reviewing your application! In addition, if you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program. We also offer three weeks paid vacation for new employees, along with 12 paid holidays and unlimited sick time, along with paid parental leave to name a few of our benefits.
The salary range for this role is 100K-190K and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. protected person as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.