Infrared Instrument Development Engineer
About the role
Muon seeks an Infrared Instrument Development Engineer to join our team in Mountain View, CA developing infrared remote sensing instruments. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated engineer with a versatile skill set who is comfortable working across many layers of technical depth from individual components through system level. This role will be a key hands-on member of the instrument development team, working across disciplines to drive test and development activities from concept to delivery. Previous experience working to develop and operate infrared electro-optical systems, remote sensing instruments, and/or test infrastructure and instrumentation in fast-paced and small-team environments are preferred. This position has significant lab and hands-on work and will be located at our office in Mountain View, CA.
- Responsible for the development of infrared instrument and component test infrastructure HW/SW, including design, build, management, and operation.
- Lead test efforts including defining test strategy and standards, creating test plans, executing testing, post-processing/analysis, and generating test reports.
- Collaborate with partners and vendors on test strategy, planning, and execution.
- Develop test analysis and post-processing tools/scripts as needed and collaborate with end users of the test data.
- Serve as the central point of contact across both internal disciplines and external groups for instrument test and integration activities.
- Responsible for the development and operation of ground support equipment and testbeds to support spacecraft integration, check-outs, and full system testing.
- Collaborate with spacecraft AI&T team to develop instrument integration plans and tooling and support spacecraft AI&T activities.
- Responsible for instrument calibration and characterization infrastructure and execution.
- Support prototyping and demonstration activities by designing, developing, and integrating instrument components and subsystems.
- Support root cause analysis efforts including data analysis and testing.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in an engineering field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience as a test/development engineer in a team environment.
- Experience developing and operating integrated test infrastructure and systems.
- Experience performing data analysis, post-processing, and test report generation.
- Experience working hands on with precision electro-optical equipment.
- Strong software skills in one or more languages (e.g. Python, Matlab, C, C++).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with new challenges each week.
- Experience with space remote sensing instrument development.
- Experience with infrared imaging systems.
- Experience developing and integrating automated test systems.
- Experience working in cleanroom environments.
- Experience supporting integrated spacecraft testing and launch campaigns.
- Exposure to design and analysis of optical components and systems.
- Exposure to systems engineering, especially requirements development and V&V.
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We value diversity in the workplace, and that starts with our applicants. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't check all the boxes, and we look forward to reviewing your application! In addition, if you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program. We also offer three weeks paid vacation for new employees, along with 12 paid holidays and unlimited sick time, along with paid parental leave to name a few of our benefits.
The salary range for this role is 100K-190K and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. protected person as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.