Lead Flight Software Engineer
About the role
Muon seeks a Lead Flight Software Engineer to join our satellite development team in Mountain View, CA to build the software that runs our orbiting satellites. The ideal candidate is a capable people manager and has experience organizing and directing complex software projects throughout a complete lifecycle from concept to delivery. Previous experience working on interdisciplinary projects is a strong asset, such as robotics, autonomous vehicles, avionics, or aerospace.
- Guide a team of software engineers that are developing Muon’s satellite software/firmware and deliver it to orbit
- Translate high-level mission concepts into the team’s requirements, development strategy, and goals. Communicate these goals inward and outward.
- Collaborate closely with our Ground Software, Electrical, Mechanical, Systems and RF teams to resolve design strategy and requirements ambiguity
- Hire and mentor new team members to build the capabilities and capacity of the team
- Create an inclusive, collaborative, and team-oriented culture that fosters high productivity and opportunities for growth
- Identify and implement processes, tools, and infrastructure that help accelerate our design and development effort
- Own the end-to-end development from product concept to delivery to customer/market
- Excitement to tackle diverse opportunities week to week
- 2+ years direct management experience of 5+ people
- Demonstrated ability to drive a high-performing technical team
- Significant current/previous hands-on technical work on an interdisciplinary project (such as robotics, autonomous vehicles, avionics, or aerospace)
- Equivalent experience or B.S. in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, robotics, aerospace, or related field
- Proficiency in common programming languages such as C/C++ and Python
- Strong embedded systems fundamentals: resource-efficient software design, drivers, real-time responsive software, Linux and RTOS frameworks.
- Experience building and executing on technical roadmaps
- Experience with one or more of: embedded RTOS, embedded linux, FPGA, hardware design, RF communication systems, cloud/server infrastructure, network architecture.
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
We are a geographically diverse company with teams in the San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, and Boulder, Colorado. We seek great talent wherever it may be.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. If you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program.
The salary range for this role is 95k-190k and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. protected person as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.