Senior Spacecraft Mechanical Engineer
About the role
Muon seeks an experienced Mechanical Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate can go deep on design and analysis but also has a “systems mindset” and will be a force multiplier collaborating with other disciplines to arrive at an elegant, well-balanced design. Being an early-stage startup with a small team, breadth is extremely important and we expect this person to dive into structural data, dynamics, thermal design, supplier management and everything else associated with the full lifecycle of an electromechanical product.
Leadership is also a key attribute we seek for this role. Muon’s team will be growing rapidly over time and there will be opportunities for tutoring, mentoring and potentially direct management as we grow. Due to the hands-on nature of this role, it does require onsite work at our Mountain View location.
- Ownership of delivery of mechanical vehicles and subsystems, acting as a central point for multidisciplinary design between launch provider, analysts, avionics, program, thermal, optical and RF engineers
- Manage development of clean-sheet mechanical / structures top-level architectures through detailed design consistent with the risk posture, development velocity and deployment schedules at Muon
- Find solutions in line with the risk posture of the company and programs, suggesting alternatives to traditional approaches and specifying the risks associated with those options
- Make economically sound choices for the company balancing the need to quickly demonstrate capability while understanding the path to scaled-up constellations (e.g Make vs Buy).
- Create quick concepts that can be used to discuss and spur inspiration on the team in early phases of programs.
- Create, review and refine spacecraft mechanical design with product structure in a modern CAD package (Solidworks)
- Perform basic stress and dynamic analyses (hand calcs, simple FEM) to support and inform structures designs including joint design, basic stiffness analyses, etc.
- Contribute to maturing Muon’s mechanical engineering standards and culture
- B.S. or higher degree in an engineering field, preferably Mechanical
- Extensive experience as an individual contributor structural/mechanical engineer
- Shipped hardware designed for spacecraft, aircraft, automotive or similar environments
- Experience managing external vendors for part prototyping and development
- Experience designing and executing structural tests for spacecraft
- Excellent communication, presentation, coordination skills & curiosity
- Dedication to drawing conclusions on the most important factors and data
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with new opportunities each week
- A desire to change the way the world understands and reacts to climate and environmental data
- Mechanical management of a product and/or team
- Experience running structural analyses for spacecraft (FEMAP, ANSYS)
- Optomechanical instrument design
- Software skills in one or more of Python, Matlab, C, C++
- Experience as a systems engineer
- Experience working on thermal management systems for spacecraft
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
We are a geographically diverse company with teams in the San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, and Boulder, Colorado. We seek great talent wherever it may be. For this role, preference will be given to candidates local, or willing to relocate to Mountain View, given the physical nature of mechanical/structural work.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We value diversity in the workplace, and that starts with our applicants. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't check all the boxes, and we look forward to reviewing your application! In addition, if you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program. We also offer three weeks paid vacation for new employees, along with 12 paid holidays and unlimited sick time, along with paid parental leave to name a few of our benefits.
The salary range for this role is $95K and $190K + equity in the company and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.