Spacecraft Mechanical Engineer
About the role
Muon seeks an experienced Mechanical Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate can go deep on design and analysis but also has a “systems mindset” and will be a force multiplier collaborating with other disciplines to arrive at an elegant, well-balanced design. Being an early-stage startup with a small team, breadth is extremely important and we expect this person to dive into structural data, dynamics, thermal design, supplier management and everything else associated with the full lifecycle of an electromechanical product.
Leadership is also a key attribute we seek for this role. Muon’s team will be growing rapidly over time and there will be opportunities for both direct-management and indirect (tutoring, mentoring).
- Ownership of delivery of vehicles and subsystems, acting as a central point for multidisciplinary design between avionics, software, product, program, thermal, optical and RF engineers
- Find solutions in line with the risk posture of the company and programs, suggesting alternatives to traditional approaches and specifying the risks associated with those options
- Make economically sound choices for the company while understanding the path to constellations. Make decisions balancing the need to quickly demonstrate capability with the need to deploy systems at scale (make vs buy trades, etc)
- Create quick concepts that can be used to discuss and spur inspiration on the team in early phases of programs.
- Create, review and refine spacecraft mechanical design with product structure in a modern CAD package (Solidworks)
- Perform structural and dynamic analyses to support the mechanical design evolution
- Establish mechanical engineering standards and culture
- Define and drive mechanical/structural validation and test approach (establish factors of safety, identify no-test margins, design dynamics and static load tests, etc)
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to conduct mechanical tests
- B.S. or higher degree in an engineering field, preferably Mechanical
- Extensive experience as an individual contributor structural/mechanical engineer
- Flown hardware in space or deployed in a similar environment
- Experience running structural analyses for spacecraft (FEMAP, ANSYS)
- Experience designing and executing structural tests for spacecraft
- Excellent communication, presentation, coordination skills & curiosity
- Dedication to drawing conclusions on the most important factors and data
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with new opportunities each week
- A desire to change the way the world understands and reacts to climate and environmental data
- Mechanical management of a product and/or team
- Constellation spacecraft design
- Spacecraft scientific instrument design
- Demonstrated supplier and vendor management
- Software skills in one or more of Python, Matlab, C, C++
- Experience as a systems engineer
- Experience working on thermal management systems for spacecraft
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
We are a geographically diverse company with teams in the San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, and Boulder, Colorado. We seek great talent wherever it may be. For this role, preference will be given to candidates local or able to travel often to Mountain View given the physical nature of mechanical/structural work.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. If you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program.
The salary range for this role is $95K and $190K + equity in the company and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.
JOB CODE: 1000020
Something looks off?