Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Redwood City, CA, USA · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
As a Software Engineer at Material Security, you'll be part of an early, remote first, fast-growing team of experienced, world-class engineers, working to protect our users and their privacy (e.g inboxes from breaches, targeted phishing, fraud, and lateral account takeover). As a member of our Data Infrastructure team, you’ll play a critical part in architecting, developing, and maintaining the core data infrastructure that powers our “secret sauce”.
- Architect and Design: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and architect data infrastructure solutions that meet our performance, scalability, and reliability requirements.
- Development: Develop, implement, and maintain robust data infrastructure, platform, and customer-facing data warehouses using industry-leading technologies and best practices.
- Optimization: Continuously optimize data processing and storage systems to improve performance and reduce latency, ensuring efficient utilization of resources.
- Scalability: Build systems that can handle large volumes of data, ensuring our infrastructure can scale to support our growing data needs.
- Monitoring and Maintenance: Monitor data processes and infrastructure components, proactively identifying and addressing issues to ensure data reliability and availability.
- Security and Compliance: Implement security best practices and ensure data compliance with industry regulations and company policies.
- Collaboration: Work closely with data scientists, analysts, and other engineering teams to understand data requirements and provide solutions that meet their needs.
- Documentation: Create and maintain comprehensive documentation for data infrastructure components, processes, and workflows.
What We're Looking For
- Technical Ability: Solid software engineering fundamentals, raw coding ability, and problem-solving ability are key. Ideal candidates are prolific but careful coders in at least one mainstream language and have the ability to easily pick up new ones.
- Data Infrastructure Experience: Ideal candidates have proven experience in developing data infrastructure on cloud platforms (e.g. GCP, AWS) and working across the data lifecycle, including data warehousing, data orchestration, and data modeling concepts. They also have deep knowledge of distributed computing and containerization technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) and cloud database technologies (e.g. BigQuery, Snowflake). Familiarity with data processing frameworks is expected.
- Technical Maturity: Our engineering team punches above its weight because everyone can write very high-quality code without too much oversight. The foresight to understand what risks we should/should-not take is crucial to reliably ship production code.
- Ownership: We love engineers who deeply care about the impact of their work and find satisfaction in a job well done. Strong ownership starts before the first line of code (is this the right approach?) and continues after the last commit is merged (now that we've shipped, how is this behaving in prod?).
- Attitude & Ambition: The best candidates are smart, hard-working, competitive, and not afraid to fail. They are team first but willing to take the lead with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Communication & Collaboration: Our supportive culture thrives because we have a high bar for teammates who can articulate challenges and solutions while actively supporting their peers.
Material Security is a remote-first workplace with an office in Redwood City, California.
By clicking "Apply for this Job", you acknowledge that you have read the California Candidate Privacy Notice Regarding Use of Personal Information and hereby agree to its terms.
Compensation at Material Security is determined by a range of factors, including but not limited to the individual’s particular combination of knowledge, skills, competencies, and experience. The projected compensation range for this position is $113,900 to $301,400. The projected salary range is just one component of Material Security’s total compensation package for employees.