Software Engineer, Data
San Francisco, CA, USA · Remote
Posted on Friday, September 8, 2023
We believe that high quality data is the most important part of creating high performance machine learning systems, regardless of whether they are simple classifiers or state of the art reasoning agents. Unlike many other organizations, we view this work, and this role, as one of the most important at the company.
In this role, you will work on the most important part of our system--the software infrastructure for collecting, preprocessing, generating, analyzing, and distilling the wide variety of data sources that go into both our primary pretraining data corpus, as well as the datasets for all of the other ancillary and secondary models and system. You will make a meaningful, measurable impact on the performance of our systems, and experience the joy of spending time to make high quality software that makes high quality data.
• Incorporate new sources of high quality text data into our existing data pipelines
• Develop models for accurately classifying and extracting meaningful text from raw html
• Create a high quality OCR pipeline for pulling pretraining text from images and scans
• Collect a ludicrous amount of multimodal data(ex: transcripts for thousands of years of video)
• Design unique data generation pipelines that leverage existing data(ex: convert code from one language to another)
• Integrate multiple annotation service providers into a sensible interface for researchers
• Detail oriented. Data mistakes are easy to make and hard to catch.
• Passionate about data. You should be happy to look at and deeply engage with the raw data.
• An excellent software engineer. We care about engineering best practices.
• Familiar with python.
• Work on the most important part of our system
• Work at a place that deeply cares about data quality
• Work directly on creating software with human-like intelligence
• Very generous compensation
• Flexible working hours
• Work remotely
• Time and budget for learning and self improvement
How to apply
All submissions are reviewed by a person, so we encourage you to include notes on why you're interested in working with us. If you have any other work that you can showcase (open source code, side projects, etc.), certainly include it! We know that talent comes from many backgrounds, and we aim to build a team with diverse skillsets that spike strongly in different areas.
We try to reply either way within a week or two at most (usually much sooner).
Imbue builds AI systems that reason and code, enabling AI agents to accomplish larger goals and safely work in the real world. We train our own foundation models optimized for reasoning and prototype agents on top of these models. By using these agents extensively, we gain insights into improving both the capabilities of the underlying models and the interaction design for agents.
We aim to rekindle the dream of the *personal* computer, where computers become truly intelligent tools that empower us, giving us freedom, dignity, and agency to pursue the things we love.